Monday, June 23, 2008

the laugh of a child.


'she tried to walk casually,
but her head was in the clouds.
the air rushing through
threads of hair
that had been untouched for weeks.
she kept her strength up
so those around her wouldn't thing it was low -
for it was.
oh, so low.
lower than the grass below the toes
that dug into pebbles and dirt.
lower than a struggling earthworm
fighting for a piece of light.
but this girl,
so quiet behind her cage,
had stories to tell.
stories that couldn't stay in the clouds forever.
stories hidden in threads of hair;
floating in the wind.
just waiting to be released.'


Camp Good Days begins next week and I am thrilled. Thrilled to not only escape, but just thrilled to be in a place where everything seemed to make sense and fit into place. I'm hoping this first week isn't a blur, but blends in with time. I hope it continues to open my eyes and make me learn something about others and myself. I'm positive that will not only happen this week, but during the week of the 21st as well.

I'm beginning another novel - to read. I'm still in this writers block mode that is KILLING me. The book I am reading is The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. I've heard from many that it is a great book and I hope it keeps my attention. I think it already has.

Working at Storybook Child Care has opened my eyes to so much within the past month. I've learned more about my love for helping children and more about the children I spend time with everyday. They are like miniature people - each with deep opinions and unique ideas. Sure it may become stressful, but the time spent there makes me content. It makes me feel young again. Hearing the children laugh makes me content and watching the children learn about their surroundings makes me thankful. I cannot see my future without interaction with children. I could not sit in a cubicle all day not talking to anyone. I'd much rather be with others who help me learn what it is like to be young and innocent again.



No comments: