Tuesday, March 24, 2009

HANDLE WITH CARE - real literature.


At approximately 1:45 AM, I finished Jodi Picoult's newest read - Handle With Care. This novel definately comes close to being my my most admired JP read alongside My Sisters Keeper. This novel grabs ahold of so many current, controversial ideas: sickness, abortion, cutting, divorce, eating disorders, friendships, economy, love. I felt like this book related to my life so well that it was almost frightening in some ways. The ideas of sickness and mental disorders and divorce - it all hit home.
The ending was quite disturbing, but I will not give that away because I think that this is a novel that needs to be read. I emailed Jodi Picoult directly after I finished reading and she answered immediately, explaining why she wrote the ending the way she did and how she was glad that the book had upset me (like I usually do, I would post that email but it talks about the ending so that is a no-go).
This book made me realize that my love for writing will truly never cease. I need to express myself through words almost like how the mother, in Handle With Care, has a need to keep her children safe and healthy. It's something that comes almost automatically because it's something that makes you feel whole. Without it, you would be empty and alone and no one wants that.

No comments: