Friday, June 26, 2009

"even after death, the relationship continues."

This afternoon I watched My Sister's Keeper. I was amazed by how each character was brought to life just like Jodi's text was and how amazing Sofia V. (Kate) brought forth the pain that cancer caused her. The story-line went pretty much hand in hand with the book - which made me more then content.  Of course, like predicted, the ending was much, much different.  However, the change was not tacky, but brought to the screen with class.  I emailed Jodi Picoult right after I got back from the movies and asked her about her thoughts on the change.  She answered: 

I didn't take the change well - I think it ruined the story, frankly, But like you said - I had no control (and when I complained I got tossed off the set!) JP 

I still love how she answers my email within minutes of it sending. It amazes me that she has the time to answer back to all of her fans. Even though I still believe that the ending in the book is the correct ending, the movie still brought tears to my eyes and made me think about the important things in life. 

I'm still writing without writers block and it's fabulous. I'm beginning to really know the characters that I am creating: Josie - learning to love; Cady - learning to grow; Fay - learing to be herself. It's fascinating when the people you create begin to rub off on you and you begin to see someone walking through a store and say, hey, that girl reminds me of so-and-so.

That's what prose does - it's makes you alive. 

No comments: